The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Just Breathe!

Today, I was schooled (in a very good way) about breathing and health. Amazing! I thought after all those years of martial arts and meditation I knew a lot about breathing.

But sometimes it takes a bad moment (like being ill) in your life to realize how useless all your knowledge is if you don't apply it. It's very easy to get caught up or lost in the manic pace of life here. I get the sense that the things I love about NYC are also here in HK. Such as the fast and furious pace. Or if you can dream it and meet the right people, you can make it happen. (Sorryif that sounded like a self-help book; but it's true!) That is if you're mindful of yourself and your health.

I realized that I've been feeling ill due to stress. Too much crammed in a day and night. As a result I was only breathing shallowly into my lungs. My boss, Dr. Yu told me to breathe deeply into my stomach. Don't think about how it makes my gut stand out, but see it as a way to make sure energy flows freely throughout my entire body; which is a good thing. When my stomach is full of air, then I can fill my lungs next. Of course, I learned this before in Karate or Kung Fu classes, but they're useless if I don't practice it.

A new trick I did learn was to empty my lungs completely. My body will then naturally fill in the air without me having to think about it. Sort of a zenlike moment that reminded me of a moment in a Murakami novel. As soon as I took a moment to correct my breathing by breathing more fully I felt better.

So instead of going to an EA party at the exclusive Volar in Long Kwai Fong, I took time to breathe, read and just be at the nearby park. The area where I live is Causeway Bay which I'm told is the most congested and polluted part of HK. Across the street from me is Victoria Park, a welcome respite from all that. I didn't truly realize how bad the air was until I left the park. While the air in the park is certainly not mountain fresh, it is much clearer than the streets of Causeway Bay. As soon as I re-entered the streets I could feel my lungs and body convulse a little. Note to self: Take time to properly breathe every day! That should be easier at Cyberport where there's lots of open air.

Ironic how it took coming to one of the most manic, congested, fast-paced, achievement-driven places in the world to realize I need to take a moment to breathe and just be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home