The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Thursday, November 17, 2005

MERECL v0.5 & Pitching

We're getting very close to opening the doors to what Gino calls MERECL v0.5 @ Cyberport. We'll have a housewarming sometime next month and then a big media opening event sometime next spring. I assume that's when we'll call it MERECL v1.0. But in between that time we'll be working with temporary furniture and a constantly changing environment. Even when we officially open, I imagine things won't ever truly settle. But that's how an entertainment lab should be; Always changing and always pushing toward the future.

The picture was taken yesterday when I did my first day of work at Cyberport. It's almost entirely empty and for the first couple of hours, I was they only person there. It was very neat to have an entire floor all to myself! Other than Dr. Yu's office, IMHO the table I setup my laptop at has the best view in the office.

The next picture was taken later when I was joined by members of the newly formed PolyU School of Design Entrepreneur's group. I talked to them about MERECL and did what was originally supposed to be a practice pitch for a movie studio's execs. However, I actually already did my pitch the previous day as the movie studio execs suggested we meet earlier than originally anticipated. So within one night I threw together a Powerpoint presentation and presented my pitch to two movie execs and two studio producers. That felt like a very Hong Kong experience. Things turn around and upside down very fast. You just have to adapt and go with it.

I really wasn't too stressed about the change and I think it all worked out anyway. The execs invited Gino to present his two ideas and me to present mine to the CEO next week. I wasn't too nervous for this presentation, but I'm a little nervous for the next one. These two talks were a warm up for the real thing next week. I also learned a lot when I presented to the students. I learned the most from two students who have experience with the media industry in China and one who is very well versed with the business dealings of this particular movie studio. I feel like I'm going into this meeting with a lot more understanding of China, the company, and the company's position in Asia.

Yet another experience in going with the ever-changing, fast flow of Hong Kong.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home