The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Thursday, April 06, 2006

Isabella @ the HKIFF

Last night I attended a screening of "Isabella" at the Hong Kong International Festival. In attendance was the director, Pang Ho-Cheung, lead actor, Chapman To, lead actress Isabella Leung, and Peter Kam, who won the prestigious Silver Bear at the Berlin Film Festival for the film score.

Most people in the world probably don't know who Pang is. In fact, until I met Pang and his wife, Subi at the 2005 HK Entertainment Expo last year I had no idea who he was. But I have a feeling with a little bit of the right promotion and luck, Pang may be recognized as one of the great new directors of this region.


After years of HK films dropping in prestige and box office draw (due to the lack of quality, repetition and the rise of Korean media), Pang is considered a great hope of HK's film industry. To date his films have been comedies with a very local flavor. His latest film is a local drama that represents a very new and exciting direction for him. I have always respected people, and especially artists, who are willing to try new things and push beyond their comfort zone. By doing so they risk failure and embarrassment, but they also have a great a chance for reward in the form of growth and success. With Isabella, I believe Pang has achieved the latter.

Simply put, this is a very good, perhaps bordering on a great film. Like wine, I think it takes time, age and perspective to see if a film is truly great. So only time will tell. But at this moment, I know that I enjoyed Isabella on many levels. First of all, as a visual artist, I loved the cinematography. There is not much new or innovative in the cinematography, but there are frames of this picture that are beautiful works of art. I loved that Pang let the photography, music and moment sit there and unfold without the manic cuts that are so rampant in even many of today's dramas.

As a budding screenplay writer and filmmaker, I also appreciated the script. Pitting this tale against the backdrop of Macau's handover from Portugal back to China gives it a flavor and texture that is unique to Macau. It also mirror's and provides a slight metaphor for the two main characters’ relationship. I have never been to Macau and know little about its history. But this film gave me a glance at some very interesting aspects of Macau's personality. I can't wait to visit.

I also enjoyed the subtle moments in the film between the two main characters. These are the moments where what is said on screen is often less important than what is felt, implied or acted upon by the actors on the screen.

So that brings us to the music. It is a very good, powerful and touching score. George Lucas has said that sound and music is half the movie-going experience. The importance of the score to this film cannot be overstated. It gives the film half of its mood and personality. So I can certainly understand why this score won the Silver Bear for the score. There are times that the score truly enhances the somber mood and atmosphere of the film. But I felt that the score at times didn't reflect some of the lighter moments of the film. Isabella is a film about change, reflection, sentimentality and ultimately responsibility. But peppered throughout Isabella's poignant moments of a daughter searching for something, a policeman dealing with the consequences his past and Macau feeling the foreboding weight of the world's largest Communist nation bearing down upon her; Pang fits in his characteristic humor and lighter moments. In other words, he gives us depth and humanity. That is the true beauty of Isabella and perhaps that is where the score sometimes fails Pang’s wonderful story and vision.

So in case you haven't figured it out yet; I liked the film. Check it out at a film festival near you!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home