The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Saturday, November 26, 2005

A Week in the Life: Nov. 2005

My buddy, Pat recently cajoled me about not updating my blog this week. At least I know one person reads my blog!

It has been a very full week. Here's a
summary:

SUNDAY: I read an awesome New York Times article about the booming art scene in Bangkok, Thailand. The picture above is from the article. According to the article and some local people, Bangkok is a great place for film, animation and post production.
Before coming to HK, I spent time in Thailand and loved it! So I can personally attest to Bangkok being a very happening place. I hope to return to Thailand for business and pleasure after this Avian flu thing calms down a bit...

MON: It's been 4 months since my knee surgery and according to the doctor's schedule, I can start running again. Although, I'm only allowed to run on the treadmill for now, it felt great! I can't wait to get up to my regular running speed again.

TUE: I spent the day at the university working on MERECL marketing materials. Had dinner to say goodbye to Haibin a professor who is returning to the mainland. I'll miss him as he's been the source of many Mandarin language lessons.

WED: Worked at Cyberport. It's starting to really look like a startup office. After Cyberport I had dinner with a husband and wife director/producer team. They invited me to the local premiere of their new film on Friday @ 10, but I have a meeting at 10 so I can't make it. However, we did talk about how we might move forward with an animated feature film project.

THUR: I went to an Oriented mixer in HK. Oriented is a networking organization my friend Christine started in Taiwan. There's a monthly mixer in every major Asian and US city. After attending many in SF, it's cool to see one out here.

FRI: A very busy day in which I had meetings @ 10, 12 and 3pm. I met with a VFX company, the Cyberport CEO and a company called Wow Wee. Many exciting potential projects here. I was blown away by Wow Wee's future products. I now believe those Sci Fi robots in books and movies are nearly a reality. My buddy Eric from SF is in town so I met him in SoHo during the evening.

SAT: Attended a day lecture on Mental Ray, a powerful rendering engine I've used in many film, TV and video game projects. The lecturer was an Italian from Mental Images. He spoke quickly in a thickly accented English so at times I barely understood him. Many students, who barely speak English, didn't retain much. I did manage to learn a few things though.

Whew! What a week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home