The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Back in the Swing of Things

It is less than 24 hours after my return to Hong Kong from my trip to Malaysia, when I found myself in this strange field pictured to the left. Was I abducted? Did I get lost? Or was it all part of some sick, crazy delusional sleep walk? OK, let's tackle these questions one at a time:

1) Was I abducted? I was taken for a ride in a white van to this undisclosed location. But it was voluntary. So I'll have to say, "no, I wasn't abducted."

2) Did I get Lost? I had a vague idea where this van took me. But I certainly couldn't have gotten there myself. So I'll answer, "Yes, I was lost. But it wasn't my doing."

3)
Was it some sick, crazy delusional sleep walk? Hmmm... I didn't leave that field until sometime after midnight. So I was in a dazed, near sleep walk state. But I'll answer, "no, it was not a delusional sleep walk."

Still haven't the foggiest where I was? That's ok, I wasn't exactly sure either, but I wasn't scared or nervous. I was rather excited because I was on location for a shoot on the first commercial HK film for which I'm serving as VFX Supervisor. I saw the entire principal cast in action. I was originally going to oversee two shots, but the director cut the FX from the scene with the lead actor and actress. So I was there for hours only to supervise one shot. I probably went overkill in terms of documenting the set. But if I was going to be on location for hours, I was going to make the most of that one shot. Besides, the director said
this shot is a crucial part of the film, so that's why I played it coonservatively and recorded as much as I could.

For rather obvious reasons, I'm not going to write any specifics about this film. But here's a quick list of non-specific highlights that shouldn't get me in trouble:

* It is starring a well known and respected HK male star.
* The DP was really experienced and seemed to be getting some great shots.
* The DP and producer were very nice and supportive of my colleague and me.
* It rained on and off the entire night, but it worked out because the scenes called for rain.

So there you have it. My first commercial on location film shoot in HK. I'm back in the
HK swing of things baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home