The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Monday, January 08, 2007

Of Comics, Republics and Patriotism

If you alone of all the nation shall decide one way, and that way be the right way according to your convictions of the right, you have done your duty by yourself and by your country. Hold up your head. You have nothing to be ashamed of.

Samuel Clemens - Mark Twain

The above quote was used in the latest issue of "The Amazing Spider-Man." It's an issue written by American Television writer/producer, Michael Straczynski and drawn beautifully by Ron Garney.

The line was used in the context of Spider-man asking Captain America for advice on how to he handles having the majority of the country, government, media and public against him in the Civil War taking place in Marvel Comics storyline that has been selling like hotcakes through the fall and winter. At the conclusion of Cap's speech, Spidey is moved and concludes, "it feels good to be on the right side again."

I really enjoyed this point in the story on so many levels:

1) It provided a poignant and dramatic turn to the storyline
2) Quote from Mark Twain made me think of many other references to literature or thoughts in a comic which led me to read or research a topic, idea or word.
3) Spidey's defection from my favorite character, Iron Man to Captain America's side on the surface seems righteous and noble. But Twain's quote could apply quite nicely to Tony Stark/Iron Man who just as strongly believes that he is on the right side of this Civil War.
4) This quote comes at such an appropriate time as George W. Bush continues to make policies and plans on an unpopular war with much of the media, government and opinion stacked against him. So by Twain's remarks in the context of this story, he has "nothing to be ashamed of."
5) It reminds me of why I have dorked out over comic books for most of my life.

I could tack on a few more, but the gist of it is this little piece of a niche fiction about a pop culture icon hit all the right buttons in me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home