The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

The Revolution will be Inter-blog-cast

This is my first U.S. election season which I am experiencing overseas. It is an interesting experience. Thanks to the Internet and blogs, I feel like I'm just as informed and aware of the political climate as I would be if I were still living in the U.S.

An interesting highlight for me has been this Michael J. Fox vs. Rush Limbaugh incident. With the original ad posted on YouTube, this event represents to me the present moment of U.S. media and politics. This event unfolded before my eyes on TV, radio, podcasts and in the blogosphere. Not only did it unfold on those media, but what I found interesting is how each of those media had interplay, interaction, communication and then affected one another. There is a real back-and-forth communication between traditional media and the Internet media that I believe is more prevalent in this election cycle than the previous.

The barriers between the media elite who have always had a forum and the common pedestrian citizen have really blurred. It seems the media elite are not only paying more attention to their audience, but they are interacting and communicating with their audience more than ever. That's probably because the audience has become the new media. Ironically, traditional media has become an audience of that new media. And a new news cycle emerges.

How will this play out when election day arrives a few days from now? Will there be a slight revolution and will a changing of the political guard take place? I don't know. 'But this new media dynamic does add a new layer to the whole equation of politics and media. The saying that the revolution will be televised has definitely outlived its use. Unfortunately, the word in my blog title, "Interblogcast" just doesn't have the right ring to it. So maybe the revolution will just have to be televised for a little longer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home