The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Friday, June 16, 2006

The Bunker

Before I was foolishly distracted by this stupid Mentos/Coke thing, I was planning to write about my experience this past Monday evening. What was so special about Monday? Late last week, Nury invited me to a dinner event which he described as a 'speaking gig' with 'powerful people.' This event took place Monday night.

Dinner was held at an old WWII bunker that has been converted into a 'living museum.' Before dinner began, a British expat gave us a brief history of this remarkable location. He told us we were in one of dozens of underground bunkers linked by a series of tunnels. These bunkers played a crucial role in the defense of HK during WWII. So when we toasted those who gave their lives using these bunkers in defense of HK, I felt a sense of gravitas and gratitude.

The rest of the evening was much more light and celebratory. I was indeed dining with some powerful people, as this event was for one of the world's largest and most influential PR agencies. The CEO was a gracious and affable host. He introduced Nury, who then proceeded to entertain the group with an entertaining and funny talk on the topic of creativity. As the CEO and Nury fired off joke after joke, I couldn't help but feel a little intimidated at the tough act I had to follow.

When Nury introduced me, I swallowed the nervous lump in my throat and began to speak. I can't pinpoint the exact moment in my life I became comfortable with public speaking, but I was quite thankful that I was that night. For despite being a little intimidated by following two great public speakers and being in a room of professionals who shape the public face of the world's largest organizations, I felt quite in my element. My talk appeared to be well received as I got a few compliments and pats on my back as I made my way back to to my table.

So there you have it. My first non-Mentos/Coke post in 3 days!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home