The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Saturday, August 12, 2006

Drinkin' it In

Being a best man is a thankless job.

I just got back a few days ago from a wedding in California in which I served as best man. It was a lot of work! Managing 13 men on a Vegas weekend (like herding cats), MC-ing the wedding, preparing the slideshow, the speech and other duties was very draining. I'm sure it was a fraction of what the bride and groom had to go through, but boy was I drained! I'm tired just thinking about it!

I think karma came into play. Because nearly a decade ago, I was best man at my very, near and dear friend, Brian's wedding in which I had to do very little. I still feel a little guilty about that one, but I think in the karmic scheme of things, I've balanced things out a little with this one.

This picture, taken by a friend after the outdoor ceremony, sums up some my recent return to the US; Beautiful blue skies. Fresh air. Trying to sneak in a little time for self indulgement between all the activies. Drinking way too much alcohol during the week and trying to balance it (in vain) with a little water and exercise. Good friends!

During this trip, I also had promising meetings in Vegas and Vancouver. I recently read an article about how technology has made it very difficult for people take non-working vacations these days. I don't count this trip as a true vacation, but one of these days I'd like to take a business-free trip.

As I'm writing this, I'm still a little jett lagged. But I feel like I could use some real R&R soon. But alas, I'm back in HK and that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon. More on that later...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home