The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Blogworthy

It's been over a month since my last entry. It's not that there hasn't been anything blogworthy to write. It's just that life happens and it keeps you from blogging. But tonight, I had an experience that I think is worth taking a few minutes to chronicle.

Tonight I went to dinner with one of my Hong Kong celebrity friends. She introduced me to her Venture Capitalist boyfriend, a few HK film industry producers and a beautiful celebrity photographer. (The photographer looked like she belonged in front of the camera as opposed to behind it. But I digress.) This would normally be my element as I certainly have no problem conversing about film, photography, art and industry. But we spoke mostly in Cantonese and I still haven't mastered the art of industry and business conversation in Cantonese. So it wasn't nearly as good a time as I would have had if I were more fluent in Cantonese. I think I understood about 60% of the conversation.

Occasionally, I would look around the room whenever the conversation went too far beyond my Cantonese. On one such occasion, I saw someone familar in the reflection of the mirror by the neighboring table. I did one of those double takes you might see in a cartoon and said a little too loudly, "Holy shit! That's Peter Jackson!"

At first, no one at the table recognized him as they remember him being pudgy and wearing glasses from his Lord of the Rings days. But I recognized his thinner, lasik-eye-glassless new and improved self from all the King Kong publicity. One of the film producers then told me he was sitting next to Stanley Tong, a farily prolific Hong Kong director who has also directed a few Hollywood films.

Despite being a celebrity herself, my friend was wondering if she should get an autograph from Peter Jackson. But we didn't have to get up to greet anyone from that table as Stanley Tong recognized the photographer sitting to my right. He came over to our table to say, 'hi.' Apparently, they're old friends.

So there you have it. A blogworthy topic that got me out of my over one month blogless slump. No ground breaking observations or realizations. I just thought I wanted to write this down before I forget it happened.

'Til the next blogworthy moment, I bid thee adieu

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

So did Peter offer you the role of Bilbo in The Hobbit?

Good reading on here.
(this is Jamie, I went to college with Brian)

10:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jamie! It's been a long time! Great to hear from you.

No, I won't be Bilbo. Are you trying to say something about my height?

Hope things are well with you!

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home