The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Monday, January 15, 2007

Pedal Power!

I was on my way to work for like the 50th Sunday in a row or something. Nothing special. But on my way to the bus I passed by an interesting race taking place. There were a bunch of people racing in these little pod-like vehicles. It looked like a lot of silly fun. Especially, when I noticed a fuzzy elephant (see pic on left) making it's way through the course.

But upon closer inspection, I saw some serious looking carts with corporate sponsorships. Upon even closer inspection I noticed that these vehicles were powered by pedaling. Then I noticed these racers were actually in very good shape.

My curiosity was piqued. So I decided to take a closer look. The signs posted on the dividers said this was the "21st Round Table Pedal." I took off my earhphones, paused my iPod Just in time to hear the announcer say they were a minute away from finishing their 24 hours! I thought it was so cool that this organization HKPVA
has been running this 24 hour race 21 times.

When I looked at their Website, I saw that they
promote human powered vehicles, but couldn't see how other than this race. Apparently, it's a race with teams of 10. So that averages to about 2.4 hours per person. Which is do-able, but would require a lot of training and preparation. This event reminded me of Bay to Breakers mixed with 199 mile Relay race I've done a few times in the San Francisco Bay Area. Hmmm... I might be feeling the urge to do a few charity races again.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

Having done the Tour de Cure (for curing Diabetes) and MS-150 (for curing MS) bike rides last summer, I strongly recommend this kind of thing. As long as you aren't in appalingly bad shape, biking for 2 1/2 hour would take you month or so to work up to, but that's pretty much it.

4:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Jamie,

Being a former cyclist and tri-athlete, I would love to get back into Cycling! Unfortunately, HK is not a very good cycling city. No room for bikes on the road here.

Great to here you did the Tour de Cure!

3:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home