The Adventures of Cedrick Chan

These are the chronicles of my East/West adventures. I'm currently based in Hong Kong, China and San Jose, CA, USA.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Year of the Piggie

Last week was the first time I experienced Chinese New Year in Asia. Unlike in the West, Chinese New Year is a major holiday here in China where people actually take time off to be with family. Christmas and New Years is small potatoes by comparison.

This is the year of the pig and there was no chance of missing that in Hong Kong where they bring the commercialization of Chinese New Year to new levels. You could not avoid a single cutesy, cartoony pig anywhere. Interestingly, enough I didn't have to take any pics 'cause I had a guest in town who had an awesome Nikon SLR camera. It was her first time in HK and it was great to see Hong Kong through her eyes and lense. This left pic was one of the first pics she took. We found it amusing to see this blow up pig suckling on the vendor with his blow up butcher's knife. It was almost subversive to see this vendor amidst a sea of other vendors hocking their cutsey cartoon pig-wares.

A few days later, while exploring the Sheung Wan district, we encountered these real slaughtered pigs all hung neatly in a row. Many Westerners often find it disgusting to see their meat in this form. Namely, the full carcass. I actually prefer to see my meat this way. Not because I'm barbaric, but because it reminds me that I'm consuming life. I think most people (East and West) who buy their seemingly sterile, plastic wrapped, mass-produced processed meat or beautifully, presented restaurant steaks and pork chops are conveniently disconnected from the painful, bloody, reality of the slaughter.

Morbid thoughts for the year of the pig? I suppose so. But amidst all the commercialized, cute, plastic, glitz and glam; I see this as a needed touch of reality. It made me re-visit the idea of becoming vegetarian. My readings and understanding of the subject really does point to the conclusion that consuming less meat is more humane, environmentally friendly, healthy and in many ways moral.

Anyway, I hope that everyone has a happy, healthy and prosperous year of the pig! ;P

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home